Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, March 31, 2021:
Sunny, with a high near 88. North wind 5 to 10 mph becoming east in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 56. Calm wind becoming northwest around 5 mph.
Temperatures are expected to be warm to hot for the remainder of the week, peaking in the upper 80s on Thursday before gradually dropping back lower 70s by early in the new week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1776 Abigail Adams writes to husband John that women are “determined to foment a rebellion” if the new Declaration of Independence fails to guarantee their rights.
- 1809 Birth of Edward Fitzgerald, American writer.
- 1862 Skirmishing between Rebels and Union forces takes place at Island 10 on the Mississippi River.
- 1878 Birth of Jack Johnson, first African-American boxer to become the world heavyweight champion.
- 1880 The first electric street lights ever installed by a municipality are turned on in Wabash, Indiana.
- 1916 General John Pershing and his army rout Pancho Villa’s army in Mexico.
- 1917 The United States purchases the Virgin Islands from Denmark for $25 million.
- 1918 Daylight Saving Time goes into effect throughout the United States for the first time.
- 1933 To relieve rampant unemployment, Congress authorizes the Civilian Conservation Corps .
- 1940 La Guardia airport in New York officially opens to the public.
- 1945 The United States and Britain bar a Soviet supported provisional regime in Warsaw from entering the U.N. meeting in San Francisco.
- 1966 An estimated 200,000 anti-war demonstrators march in New York City.
- 1967 President Lyndon Johnson signs the Consular Treaty, the first bi-lateral pact with the Soviet Union since the Bolshevik Revolution.
- 1970 U.S. forces in Vietnam down a MIG-21, the first since September 1968.
- 1980 President Jimmy Carter deregulates the banking industry.