Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, March 29, 2016:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 66. West wind 5 to 10 mph increasing to 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 25 mph.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 52. West wind 10 to 15 mph becoming south 5 to 10 mph in the evening. Winds could gust as high as 30 mph.
Mostly sunny to sunny skies are expected for the rest of the week, with temperatures gradually rising to the low 70s.
The article above is based on information released by the National Weather Service.
Courtesy of History Net:
- 1638 A permanent European colony is established in present-day Delaware.
- 1790 Birth of John Tyler, 10th President of the United States (1841-1845).
- 1835 Birth of Elihu Thomson, the English-born American inventor of electric welding and arc lighting.
- 1847 U.S. troops under General Winfield Scott take possession of the Mexican stronghold at Vera Cruz.
- 1867 The United States purchases Alaska from Russia for $7.2 million dollars.
- 1867 Birth of Cy Young, major league baseball pitcher with the most wins (509 or 511 total).
- 1886 Coca-Cola goes on sale for the first time at a drugstore in Atlanta. Its inventor, Dr. John Pemberton, claims it can cure anything from hysteria to the common cold.
- 1903 A regular news service begins between New York and London on Marconi’s wireless.
- 1951 The Chinese reject Gen. Douglas MacArthur’s offer for a truce in Korea.
- 1951 Rodgers and Hammerstein’s musical The King and I opens on Broadway starring Gertrude Lawrence and Yul Brynner.
- 1952 President Harry Truman removes himself from the presidential race.
- 1961 The 23rd Amendment, allowing residents of Washington, D.C. to vote for president, is ratified.
- 1971 Lt. William L. Calley, Jr. is found guilty for his actions in the My Lai massacre.
- 1973 The last U.S. troops withdraw from South Vietnam.
- 1976 Eight Ohio National Guardsmen are indicted for shooting four Kent State students during an anti-war protest on May 4, 1970.