Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, January 1, 2019
Sunny, with a high near 60. East wind 10 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.
Mostly clear, with a low around 37. East wind 10 to 15 mph becoming light northeast after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
High wind warning through Tuesday night.
Temperatures are expected to be cold overnight, with highs peaking near 70 just after mid-week. There is a chance of rain coming over the weekend.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1698 The Abenaki Indians and Massachusetts colonists sign a treaty halting hostilities between the two.
- 1808 A US law banning the import of slaves comes into effect, but is widely ignored.
- 1735 Born: Paul Revere, US patriot.
- 1752 Born: Betsy Ross, flag maker.
- 1830 William Lloyd Garrison publishes the first edition of a journal entitled The Liberator, calling for the complete and immediate emancipation of all slaves in the United States.
- 1863 Confederate General Braxton Bragg and Union General William Rosecrans readjust their troops as the Battle of Murfreesboro continues.
- 1863 President Abraham Lincoln issues the Emancipation Proclamation, freeing the slaves in the Confederacy.
- 1891 Facilities opened on Ellis Island, New York, to cope with the vast flood of immigrants coming into the United States.
- 1895 Born: J. Edgar Hoover, founding director of the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI).
- 1907 The Pure Food and Drug Act becomes law in the United States.
- 1918 The first gasoline pipeline begins operation. Along the 40 miles and three inches of pipe from Salt Creek to Casper, Wyoming.
- 1919 Born: J.D. [Jerome David] Salinger, U.S. novelist (The Catcher in the Rye, Franny and Zooey).
- 1937 At a party at the Hormel Mansion in Minnesota, a guest wins $100 for naming a new canned meat — Spam.
- 1945 In Operation Bodenplatte, German planes attack American forward air bases in Europe. This is the last major offensive of the Luftwaffe.
- 1986 As the United States builds its strength in the Mediterranean, Libyan leader Muammar al-Qaddafi threatens to retaliate if attacked.