Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, January 2, 2019:
Patchy frost before 10am. Otherwise, sunny, with a high near 62. East wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable.
Clear, with a low around 39. Calm wind becoming east around 5 mph after midnight.
High wind warning through Tuesday night.
Temperatures are expected to be cold overnight, with highs peaking near 70 just after mid-week. There is a chance of rain coming over the weekend.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1861 Birth of Helen Herron Taft, First Lady to President William Howard Taft.
- 1861 The USS Brooklyn is readied at Norfolk to aid Fort Sumter.
- 1863 In the second day of hard fighting at Stone’s River, near Murfreesboro, Tennessee, Union troops defeat the Confederates.
- 1903 President Theodore Roosevelt closes a post office in Indianola, Mississippi, for refusing to hire a Black postmistress.
- 1904 US Marines are sent to Santo Domingo to aid the government against rebel forces.
- 1920 Birth of Isaac Asimov, American writer of over 300 books including Foundation and I, Robot.
- 1925 Birth of William J. Crowe, US admiral. He was Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff under US presidents Ronald Reagan and George H. W. Bush. Hee was ambassador to the UK under President Bill Clinton.
- 1942 In the Philippines, the city of Manila and the US Naval base at Cavite fall to Japanese forces.
- 1963 In Vietnam, the Viet Cong down five US helicopters in the Mekong Delta. 30 Americans are reported dead.
- 1966 American soldiers move into the Mekong Delta for the first time.
- 1973 The United States admits the accidental bombing of a Hanoi hospital.
- 1980 President Jimmy Carter asks the US Senate to delay the arms treaty ratification in response to Soviet action in Afghanistan.
- 1999 A severe winter storm hits the Midwestern US. In Chicago temperatures plunge to -13ºF and 19 inches of snow fell. Sixty-eight deaths are blamed on the storm.
- 2006 A coal mine explosion in Sago, West Virginia, kills 12 miners and critically injures another. This accident and another within weeks lead to the first changes in federal mining laws in decades.