Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, January 4, 2019:
Sunny, with a high near 66. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 47. Calm wind.
Rain is expected over the weekend, followed by partly sunny to mostly cloudy conditions and highs in the 60s. Another chance of rain is possible around midweek.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1847 Samuel Colt sells his first revolver pistol to the US government. His US revolver patent will give him a monopoly on the manufacturing of revolvers until 1857, and during the Civil War his factory in Hartford, Connecticut, will supply firearms to both the North and the South.
- 1863 Union General Henry Halleck, by direction of President Abraham Lincoln, orders General Ulysses Grant to revoke his infamous General Order No. 11 that expelled Jews from his operational area.
- 1896 Utah becomes the 45th state of the Union.
- 1902 France offers to sell their Nicaraguan Canal rights to the United States.
- 1904 The US Supreme Court decides in the Gonzales v. Williams case that Puerto Ricans are not aliens and can enter the United States freely, yet stops short of awarding citizenship.
- 1914 Birth of Jane Wyman, American film actress. She received an Academy Award for Johnny Belinda. She was the first wife of future US President Ronald Reagan.
- 1920 The Negro National League, the first black baseball league, is organized by Rube Foster.
- 1923 The Paris Conference on war reparations hits a deadlock as the French insist on the hard line and the British insist on Reconstruction.
- 1935 President Franklin D. Roosevelt claims in his State of the Union message that the federal government will provide jobs for 3.5 million Americans on welfare.
- 1936 Billboard magazine publishes its first music Hit Parade.
- 1942 Japanese forces begin the evacuation of Guadalcanal.
- 1974 President Richard Nixon refuses to hand over tape recordings and documents that had been subpoenaed by the Senate Watergate Committee.
- 1979 Ohio officials approve an out-of-court settlement awarding $675,000 to the victims and families in the 1970 shootings at Kent State University, in which four students were killed and nine wounded by National Guard troops.
- 1999 Jesse “The Body” Ventura, a former professional wrestler, is sworn in as the populist governor of Minnesota.
- 2004 NASA’s Mars rover Spirit successfully lands on Mars.
- 2007 Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-California) becomes the first female speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives.