Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, January 5, 2019:
A chance of rain after 10am. Cloudy, with a high near 62. East wind around 5 mph becoming south in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Rain. Low around 47. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
Rain is expected over the weekend, followed by partly sunny to mostly cloudy conditions and highs in the 60s. Another chance of rain is possible around midweek.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1779 Birth of Stephen Decatur, American naval hero during actions against the Barbary pirates in the War of 1812.
- 1815 Federalists from all over New England, angered over the War of 1812, draw up the Hartford Convention, demanding several important changes in the US Constitution.
- 1861 The merchant vessel Star of the West sets sail from New York to Fort Sumter, in response to a rebel attack, carrying supplies and 250 troops.
- 1904 American Marines arrive in Seoul, Korea, to guard the US legation there.
- 1914 Henry Ford astounds the world as he announces that he will pay a minimum wage of $5 a day and will share with employees $10 million in the previous year’s profits.
- 1920 GOP women demand equal representation at the Republican National Convention in June.
- 1923 The US. Senate debates the benefits of peyote for the American Indian.
- 1925 Nellie Tayloe Ross of Wyoming is sworn in as the first female governor in the United States.
- 1928 Birth of Walter Mondale, 42nd Vice President of the United States. He was the Democratic presidential nominee who lost to Ronald Reagan in 1984, and Ambassador to Japan (1993-1996).
- 1942 US and Filipino troops complete their withdrawal to a new defensive line along the base of the Bataan peninsula.
- 1951 Inchon, South Korea, the site of General Douglas MacArthur’s amphibious flanking maneuver, is abandoned by United Nations forces to the advancing Chinese Army.
- 1952 Prime Minister Winston Churchill arrives in Washington to confer with President Harry S Truman.
- 1968 US forces in Vietnam launch Operation Niagara I to locate enemy units around the Marine base at Khe Sanh.
- 1969 President Richard M. Nixon appoints Henry Cabot Lodge as negotiator at the Paris Peace Talks.
- 1971 President Richard M. Nixon names Robert Dole as chairman of the Republican National Party.
- 1982 A Federal judge voids a state law requiring balanced classroom treatment of evolution and creationism.
- 2005 Eris, the largest known dwarf planet in the Solar System, is discovered in images taken Oct. 21, 2003, at the Palomar Observatory.