Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, January 7, 2019:
A chance of showers, mainly before 10am. Partly sunny, with a high near 64. East wind around 5 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 48. Calm wind becoming north around 5 mph.
Partly sunny skies are expected for most of the work week, followed by a chance of rain at the end of the week into the weekend.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1718 Birth of Israel Putnam, American Revolutionary War hero.
- 1785 Frenchman Jean-Pierre Blanchard and American Dr. John Jeffries make the first crossing of the English Channel in a hydrogen balloon.
- 1800 Birth of Millard Fillmore, 13th President of the United States.
- 1865 Cheyenne and Sioux warriors attack Julesburg, Colorado, in retaliation for the Sand Creek Massacre.
- 1901 New York stock exchange trading exceeds two million shares for the first time in history.
- 1944 The US Air Force announces the production of the first jet-fighter, the Bell P-59 Airacomet.
- 1945 US air ace Major Thomas B. McGuire, Jr. is killed in the Pacific.
- 1955 Marian Anderson becomes the first African American to sing at the Metropolitan Opera House.
- 1980 US President Jimmy Carter signs legislation providing $1.5 billion in loans to salvage Chrysler Corporation.
- 1999 The impeachment trial of US President Bill Clinton opens in the Senate.