Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, January 9, 2019:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 66. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 50. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Partly sunny skies are expected for most of the work week, followed by a chance of rain at the end of the week into the weekend.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1776 Thomas Paine publishes Common Sense, a scathing attack on King George III’s reign over the colonies and a call for complete independence.
- 1861 Southern shellfire stops the Union supply ship Star of the West from entering Charleston Harbor on her way to Fort Sumter.
- 1861 Mississippi secedes from the Union.
- 1912 Colonel Theodore Roosevelt announces that he will run for president if asked.
- 1913 Birth of Richard Nixon, the 37th President of the United States and the first President to resign from office.
- 1915 Pancho Villa signs a treaty with the United States, halting border conflicts.
- 1924 Ford Motor Company stock is valued at nearly $1 billion.
- 1945 US troops land on Luzon, in the Philippines, 107 miles from Manila.
- 1952 Jackie Robinson becomes the highest paid player in Brooklyn Dodger history.
- 1964 US forces kill six Panamanian students protesting in the canal zone.
- 2007 Steve Jobs, the CEO of Apple, unveils the first iPhone.