Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, January 11, 2019:
Patchy fog before 10am. Otherwise, partly sunny, with a high near 66. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
A slight chance of rain, then rain and possibly a thunderstorm after 10pm. Low around 50. South wind 5 to 10 mph becoming east in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
A chance of rain is expected starting Friday night and continuing into the new week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1757 Birth of Alexander Hamilton, the first U.S. Secretary of the Treasury; he was killed in a duel with Aaron Burr.
- 1843 Francis Scott Key, author of “The Star-Spangled Banner,” dies in Baltimore.
- 1861 Alabama secedes from the Union.
- 1862 Lincoln accepts Simon Cameron’s resignation as Secretary of War.
- 1887 At Fort Smith, Arkansas, hangman George Maledon dispatches four victims in a multiple hanging.
- 1940 Benjamin O. Davis, Sr., becomes the U.S. Army’s first black general. His son would later become a general as well.
- 1948 President Harry S. Truman proposes free, two-year community colleges for all who want an education.
- 1980 Honda announces it will build the first Japanese-owned passenger-car assembly plant in the United States–in Ohio.
- 2003 Illinois Gov. George Ryan commutes the death sentences of 167 prisoners on the state’s death row in the wake of allegations that Chicago police detective and commander Jon Burge tortured confessions from some 200 suspects over a 19 year period.