Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, January 13, 2019:
Mostly cloudy, with a high near 64. East wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
A slight chance of showers after 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 48. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
There will be a chance of precipitation for most of the week, with highs in the 60s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1808 Birth of Salmon P. Chase, US Treasury Secretary and sixth Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.
- 1832 Birth of Horatio Alger, Jr., American children’s author (Ragged Dick, Tattered Tom).
- 1846 President James Polk dispatches General Zachary Taylor and 4,000 troops to the Texas Border as war with Mexico looms.
- 1862 President Lincoln names Edwin M. Stanton Secretary of War.
- 1919 California votes to ratify the prohibition amendment.
- 1927 A woman takes a seat on the NY Stock Exchange breaking the all-male tradition.
- 1931 The bridge connecting New York and New Jersey is named the George Washington Memorial Bridge.
- 1937 The United States bars Americans from serving in the Civil War in Spain.
- 1944 Plants are destroyed and 64 US aircraft are lost in an air attack in Germany.
- 1955 Chase National and the Bank of Manhattan agree to merge resulting in the second largest US bank.
- 1965 Two US planes are shot down in Laos while on a combat mission.
- 1968 The United States reports shifting most air targets from North Vietnam to Laos.
- 1980 The United States offers Pakistan a two-year aid plan to counter the Soviet threat in Afghanistan.
- 1982 Air Florida Flight 90 Boeing 737 jet crashes into Washington, D.C.’s 14th Street Bridge shortly after takeoff, then plunges into the Potomac River; 78 people, including 4 motorists, are killed.
- 1990 In Virginia, Douglas Wilder, the first African-American elected governor of a US state, takes office.