Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, January 15, 2019:
Rain. High near 61. East wind around 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
Rain. Low around 52. South wind 10 to 15 mph becoming light and variable after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
There will be a chance of precipitation for most of the week, with highs in the 60s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1716 Birth of Philip Livingston, a signatory of the Declaration of Independence.
- 1811 In a secret session, Congress plans to annex Spanish East Florida.
- 1823 Birth of Mathew Brady, Civil War photographer.
- 1865 Union troops capture Fort Fisher, North Carolina.
- 1908 Birth of Edward Teller, Hungarian-born U.S. physicist known as the “Father of the H-bomb.”
- 1913 The first telephone line between Berlin and New York is inaugurated.
- 1920 The Dry Law goes into effect in the United States. Selling liquor and beer becomes illegal.
- 1920 The United States approves a $150 million loan to Poland, Austria and Armenia to aid in their war with the Russian communists.
- 1927 The Dumbarton Bridge opens in San Francisco carrying the first auto traffic across the bay.
- 1929 Birth of Martin Luther King, Jr., civil rights leader and winner of the Nobel Peace Prize.
- 1929 The U.S. Senate ratifies the Kellogg-Briand anti-war pact.
- 1930 Amelia Earhart sets an aviation record for women at 171 mph in a Lockheed Vega.
- 1944 The U.S. Fifth Army successfully breaks the German Winter Line in Italy with the capture of Mount Trocchio.
- 1967 Some 462 Yale faculty members call for an end to the bombing in North Vietnam.
- 1973 U.S. President Richard Nixon announces the suspension of offensive action by U.S. troops in Vietnam.
- 1973 Four of six remaining Watergate defendants plead guilty.
- 1976 Sara Jane Moore is sentenced to life in prison for her failed attempt to assassinate U.S. President Gerald Ford.
- 1991 The UN deadline for Iraq to withdraw its forces from occupied Kuwait passes, setting the stage for Operation Desert Storm.
- 2001 Wikipedia goes online.