Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, January 16, 2019:
Rain. High near 63. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
Rain. Low around 56. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.
There will be a chance of precipitation for most of the week, with highs in the 60s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1757 Birth of Samuel McIntire, architect of Salem, Massachusetts.
- 1786 The Council of Virginia guarantees religious freedom.
- 1821 Birth of John C. Breckinridge, 14th US Vice President, Confederate Secretary of War.
- 1847 John C. Fremont, the famed “Pathfinder” of Western exploration, is appointed governor of California.
- 1865 General William T. Sherman begins a march through the Carolinas.
- 1900 The US Senate recognizes the Anglo-German Treaty of 1899 by which the UK renounced its rights to the Samoan Islands.
- 1909 One of Ernest Shackleton‘s polar exploration teams reaches the Magnetic South Pole.
- 1909 Birth of Ethel Merman, US singer and actress, the “Queen of Broadway”.
- 1939 Franklin D. Roosevelt asks for an extension of the Social Security Act to include more women and children.
- 1945 The US First and Third armies link up at Houffalize, effectively ending the Battle of the Bulge.
- 1965 Eighteen are arrested in Mississippi for the murder of three civil rights workers.
- 1991 The Persian Gulf War begins. The massive U.S.-led offensive against Iraq — Operation Desert Storm — ends on February 28, 1991 when President George H. W. Bush declares a cease-fire and Iraq pledges to honor future coalition and UN peace terms.