Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, January 18, 2019:
Partly sunny, with a high near 66. Southeast wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the morning.
Mostly clear, with a low around 50. Calm wind becoming north around 5 mph.
Sunny skies are forecast for at least the next week, with highs in the upper 60s to low 70s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1778 Captain James Cook discovers the Hawaiian Islands, naming them the ‘Sandwich Islands’ after the First Lord of the Admiralty, Lord Sandwich.
- 1782 Birth of Daniel Webster, congressman from New Hampshire; Massachusetts senator, and Secretary of State before the Civil War.
- 1836 Jim Bowie arrives at the Alamo to assist its Texas defenders.
- 1858 Birth of Daniel Hale Williams, physician; performed the first open heart surgery, founder of Chicago’s Provident Hospital.
- 1862 John Tyler, former president of the United States, is buried at Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond, Virginia.
- 1892 Birth of Oliver Hardy, film comedian, one half of Laurel and Hardy.
- 1902 The Isthmus Canal Commission in Washington shifts its support from Nicaragua to Panama as a favored canal site.
- 1904 Birth of Cary Grant, US film actor (Gunga Din, Bringing Up Baby, The Philadelphia Story, North by Northwest).
- 1911 Aviator Eugene Ely performs the first successful take off and landing from a ship in San Francisco Bay.
- 1942 General MacArthur repels the Japanese in Bataan. The United States takes the lead in the Far East war crime trials.
- 1962 The United States begins spraying foliage with herbicides in South Vietnam, in order to reveal the whereabouts of Vietcong guerrillas.
- 1964 Plans are disclosed for the World Trade Center in New York.
- 1978 The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) isolate the cause of Legionnaire’s disease.