Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, January 21, 2019:
Sunny, with a high near 62. Northwest wind 5 to 10 mph increasing to 15 to 20 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 30 mph.
Mostly clear, with a low around 43. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Sunny skies are forecast for at least the next week, with highs rising above average in the 70s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1648 In Maryland, the first woman lawyer in the colonies, Margaret Brent, is denied a vote in the Maryland Assembly.
- 1737 Born: Ethan Allen, American Revolutionary commander.
- 1785 Chippewa, Delaware, Ottawa and Wyandot Indians sign the treaty of Fort McIntosh, ceding present-day Ohio to the United States.
- 1824 Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson, Confederate General.
- 1910 Japan rejects the American proposal to neutralize ownership of the Manchurian Railway.
- 1921 J.D. Rockefeller pledges $1 million for the relief of Europe’s destitute.
- 1941 The United States lifts the ban on selling arms to the Soviet Union.
- 1964 Carl T. Rowan is named the director of the United States Information Agency (USIA).
- 1968 In Vietnam, the Siege of Khe Sanh begins as North Vietnamese units surround U.S. Marines based on the hilltop headquarters.
- 1974 The U.S. Supreme Court decides that pregnant teachers can no longer be forced to take long leaves of absence.
- 1976 Leonid Brezhnev and Henry Kissinger meet to discuss Strategic Arms Limitation Treaty (SALT).
- 1977 President Carter urges 65 degrees as the maximum heat in homes to ease the energy crisis.
- 1993 Congressman Mike Espy of Mississippi is confirmed as Secretary of the Department of Agriculture.