Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, January 25, 2019:
Sunny, with a high near 76. North wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 46. Calm wind becoming northeast around 5 mph after midnight.
Sunny skies are forecast for at least the next week. Temperatures are expected to peak in the upper 70s over the weekend, though temperatures will remain slightly elevated.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1787 Small farmers in Springfield, Massachusetts led by Daniel Shays, revolt against tax laws. Federal troops break up the protesters of what becomes known as Shay’s Rebellion.
- 1846 The dreaded Corn Laws, which taxed imported oats, wheat and barley, are repealed by the British Parliament.
- 1904 Two-hundred coal miners are trapped in their Pennsylvania mine after an explosion.
- 1915 Alexander Graham Bell in New York and Thomas Watson in San Francisco make a record telephone transmission.
- 1918 Austria and Germany reject U.S. peace proposals.
- 1929 Members of the New York Stock Exchange ask for an additional 275 seats.
- 1930 New York police rout a Communist rally at the Town Hall.
- 1949 Axis Sally, who broadcasts Nazi propaganda to U.S. troops in Europe, stands trial in the United States for war crimes.
- 1951 The U.S. Eighth Army in Korea launches Operation Thunderbolt, a counter attack to push the Chinese Army north of the Han River.
- 1955 Columbia University scientists develop an atomic clock that is accurate to within one second in 300 years.
- 1956 Khrushchev says that he believes that Eisenhower is sincere in his efforts to abolish war.
- 1959 American Airlines begins its first coast-to-coast flight service on a Boeing 707.
- 1972 Shirley Chisholm, the first African-American woman elected to the U.S. Congress, announces her candidacy for president.
- 1972 Nixon airs the eight-point peace plan for Vietnam, asking for POW release in return for withdrawal.
- 1984 President Reagan endorses the development of the first U.S. permanently-manned space station.