Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, January 26, 2019:
Sunny, with a high near 79. East wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 52. Calm wind becoming north around 5 mph.
Sunny skies are forecast for at least the next week. Temperatures are expected to peak in the upper 70s over the weekend, though temperatures will remain slightly elevated.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1826 Birth of Julia Dent Grant, wife of Ulysses S. Grant.
- 1861 Louisiana secedes from the Union.
- 1863 President Lincoln names General Joseph Hooker to replace Burnside as commander of the Army of the Potomac.
- 1875 Pinkerton agents, hunting Jesse James, kill his 18-year-old half-brother and seriously injure his mother with a bomb.
- 1880 Birth of Douglas MacArthur, US general in World War I, World War II and Korea.
- 1893 Birth of Bessie Coleman, pioneer aviator.
- 1942 An American Expeditionary Force lands in Northern Ireland.
- 1943 The first OSS (Office of Strategic Services) agent parachutes behind Japanese lines in Burma.
- 1964 Eighty-four people are arrested in a segregation protest in Atlanta.
- 1969 California is declared a disaster area after two days of flooding and mud slides.
- 2005 Condoleezza Rice is appointed to the post of secretary of state. The post makes her the highest ranking African-American woman ever to serve in a US presidential cabinet.