Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, January 27, 2019:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 76. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 49. Calm wind becoming southeast around 5 mph.
Sunny skies are forecast for at least the next week. Temperatures are expected to peak in the upper 70s over the weekend, though temperatures will remain slightly elevated.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1825 Congress approves Indian Territory (present-day Oklahoma), clearing the way for forced relocation of the Eastern Indians on the “Trail of Tears.”
- 1850 Birth of Samuel Gompers, first President of the American Federation of Labor.
- 1862 President Abraham Lincoln issues General War Order No. 1, setting in motion the Union armies.
- 1916 President Woodrow Wilson opens the preparedness program.
- 1939 President Franklin D. Roosevelt approves the sale of US war planes to France.
- 1941 The United States and Great Britain begin high-level military talks in Washington.
- 1943 The first US raids on the Reich blast Wilhelmshaven base and Emden.
- 1959 NASA selects 110 candidates for the first US space flight.
- 1967 Three astronauts are killed in a flash fire that engulfed their Apollo 1 spacecraft.
- 1973 A cease fire in Vietnam is called as the Paris peace accords are signed by the United States and North Vietnam.
- 1978 The State Supreme Court rules that Nazis can display the swastika in a march in Skokie, Illinois.