Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, January 29, 2019:
Partly sunny, with a high near 71. Light south wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 50. Southeast wind around 5 mph.
High temperatures are expected to drop, with a weather system moving through the area starting around the middle of the week. A chance of showers is possible.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1737 Born: Thomas Paine, political essayist (The Rights of Man, The Age of Reason).
- 1843 Born: William McKinley, 25th President of the United States.
- 1861 Kansas is admitted into the Union as the 34th state.
- 1865 William Quantrill and his Confederate raiders attack Danville, Kentucky.
- 1918 The Supreme Allied Council meets at Versailles.
- 1926 Violette Neatley Anderson becomes the first African-American woman admitted to practice before the U.S. Supreme Court.
- 1929 The Seeing Eye, America’s first school for training dogs to guide the blind, founded in Nashville, Tennessee.
- 1944 The world’s greatest warship, USS Missouri, is launched.
- 1967 Thirty-seven civilians are killed by a U.S. helicopter attack in Vietnam.
- 1979 President Jimmy Carter commutes the sentence of Patty Hearst.
- 1984 President Ronald Reagan announces that he will run for a second term.
- 1984 The Soviets issue a formal complaint against alleged U.S. arms treaty violations.
- 1991 Iraqi forces attack into Saudi Arabian town of Kafji, but are turned back by Coalition forces.