Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, February 1, 2019:
A chance of rain after 4pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 64. East wind 5 to 10 mph becoming south in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Rain, mainly after 10pm. Low around 54. Southeast wind 5 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
Rain is possible into the new week, with skies clearing by Tuesday. Highs are forecast to be in the 60s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1633 The tobacco laws of Virginia are codified, limiting tobacco production to reduce dependence on a single-crop economy.
- 1861 A furious Governor Sam Houston storms out of a legislative session upon learning that Texas has voted 167-7 to secede from the Union.
- 1878 Birth of Hattie Caraway, first woman elected to the US Senate.
- 1901 Birth of Clark Gable, American film actor (Mutiny on the Bounty, Gone With the Wind).</li>
- 1902 Birth of Langston Hughes, African-American poet
- 1902 US Secretary of State John Hay protests Russian privileges in China as a violation of the “open door policy.”
- 1909 US troops leave Cuba after installing Jose Miguel Gomez as president.
- 1930 A Loening Air Yacht of Air Ferries makes its first passenger run between San Francisco and Oakland, California.
- 1942 Planes of the US Pacific fleet attack Japanese bases in the Marshall and Gilbert Islands.
- 1943 American tanks and infantry are battered at German positions at Faid Pass in North Africa.
- 1944 US Army troops invade two Kwajalein Islands in the Pacific.
- 1945 US Rangers and Filipino guerrillas rescue 513 American survivors of the Bataan Death March.
- 1951 Three A-bomb tests are completed in the desert of Nevada.
- 1960 Four black students stage a sit-in at a segregated Greensboro, North Carolina lunch counter.
- 1964 President Lyndon B. Johnson rejects Charles de Gaulle‘s plan for a neutral Vietnam.
- 1965 Reverend Martin Luther King Jr. and 770 others are arrested in protest against voter discrimination in Alabama.
- 1968 US troops drive the North Vietnamese out of Tan Son Nhut airport in Saigon.