Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, February 3, 2019:
Showers. High near 61. South wind 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
Showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 51. Southwest wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
There is a chance of rain through Tuesday night, followed by mostly sunny skies and temperatures in the low 60s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1690 The first paper money in America is issued in the Massachusetts Bay Colony.
- 1783 Spain recognizes the United States’ independence.
- 1821 Birth of Elizabeth Blackwell, the first woman to get a medical degree from a US medical school.
- 1894 Birth of Norman Rockwell, artist and illustrator who painted scenes of small-town America. Most of his work appeared in the The Saturday Evening Post.
- 1904 Colombian troops clash with US Marines in Panama.
- 1908 The US Supreme Court rules that union-sponsored boycotts are illegal, and applies the Sherman Antitrust Act to labor as well as capital.
- 1912 New US football rules are set: the field is shortened to 100 yds.; a touchdown counts six points instead of five; four downs are allowed instead of three; and the kickoff is moved from midfield to the 40 yd. line.
- 1917 A German submarine sinks the US liner Housatonic off the coast of Sicily. The United States severs diplomatic relations with Germany.
- 1920 The Allies demand that 890 German military leaders stand trial for war crimes.
- 1927 President Calvin Coolidge signs a bill creating the Federal Radio Commission to regulate the airwaves.
- 1944 The United States shells the Japanese homeland for the first time at the Kurile Islands.
- 1945 The Allies drop 3,000 tons of bombs on Berlin.
- 1945 The month-long Battle of Manila begins.
- 1962 President John F. Kennedy bans all trade with Cuba.
- 1984 The Environmental Protection Agency orders a ban on the pesticide EDB for grain products.