Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, February 7, 2019:
Patchy frost before 9am. Otherwise, sunny, with a high near 62. East wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable.
Mostly clear, with a low around 41. Calm wind becoming east around 5 mph.
Mostly sunny skies and temperatures in the low 60s. Showers may possibly return briefly at the end of the week. A further chance of rain will start in the middle of next week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1804 Birth of John Deere, farm equipment manufacturer
- 1818 The first successful U.S. educational magazine, Academician, begins publication in New York City.
- 1867 Birth of Laura Ingalls Wilder, author; her works were the basis for television’s Little House on the Prairie.
- 1882 American pugilist John L. Sullivan becomes the last of the bare-knuckle world heavyweight champions with his defeat of Paddy Ryan in Mississippi City.
- 1885 Birth of Sinclair Lewis, novelist of satire and realism. (Arrowsmith, Elmer Gantry).
- 1926 Negro History Week, originated by Carter G. Woodson, is observed for the first time.
- 1928 The United States signs an arbitration treaty with France.
- 1931 Amelia Earhart weds George Putnam in Connecticut.
- 1950 The United States recognizes Vietnam under the leadership of Emperor Bao Dai, not Ho Chi Minh who is recognized by the Soviets.
- 1963 The Mona Lisa is put on display at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York.
- 1964 The British band The Beatles are greeted by 25,000 fans upon their arrival in the United States at JFK Airport.
- 1965 U.S. jets hit Dong Hoi guerrilla base in reprisal for the Viet Cong raids.
- 1968 The North Vietnamese use 11 Soviet-built light tanks to overrun the U.S. Special Forces camp at Lang Vei at the end of an 18-hour long siege.