Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, February 8, 2019:
Sunny, with a high near 62. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Showers likely, mainly after 4am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 46. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
Temperatures are expected to remain cool, with rain likely to return in the back half of the new week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1820 Birth of William T. Sherman, Union general in the American Civil War.
- 1861 Delegates from seceded states adopt a provisional Confederate Constitution.
- 1862 Union troops under Gen. Ambrose Burnside defeat a Confederate defense force at the Battle of Roanoke Island, North Carolina
- 1865 Confederate raider William Quantrill and his men attack a group of Federal wagons at New Market, Kentucky.
- 1887 Congress passes the Dawes Act, which gives citizenship to Indians living apart from their tribe.
- 1910 The Boy Scouts of America is incorporated.
- 1924 The gas chamber is used for the first time to execute a murderer.
- 1962 The US Defense Department reports the creation of the Military Assistance Command in South Vietnam.
- 1971 South Vietnamese ground forces, backed by American air power, begin Operation Lam Son 719, a 17,000-man incursion into Laos that ends three weeks later in a disaster.
- 1990 CBS television temporarily suspends Andy Rooney for his anti-gay and anti-black remarks in a magazine interview.