The experts at TOMATOMANIA – the one-stop gardening education and plant sale – have named Pigletwillie’s French Black TOMATO OF THE YEAR.
“After years of growing this variety in the Tomatomania test garden, Pigletwillie’s French Black earned the top spot for its consistency, taste, value and resiliency in our changing California environment. You can successfully grow it anywhere,” said Scott Daigre, noted garden designer and head Tomatomaniac.
Pigletwillie plants and more than 200 varieties of tomatoes and pepper seedlings will be available at the ten SoCal Tomatomania events starting next month. Locations include: Roger’s Gardens/Corona del Mar; Mission Hills Nursery/San Diego; The Water Conservation Garden/El Cajon; Fig Earth Supply/DTLA; Tapia Brothers/Encino; Otto and Sons/Fillmore; Underwood Farm/Somis; Descanso Gardens/La Canada Flintridge; Seaside Gardens/Carpinteria; and Topa Mountain Winery/Ojai. Detailed schedule at www.tomatomania.com.
Per Mark Donofrio, Director of Operations at Tomatomania, “Pigletwillie’s French Black is ideal for California gardeners as it is unfazed by the heat; starts producing on the early side and offers a season full of prolific fruit.” Donofrio, an accomplished chef, likes Pigletwillie’s saladette midsize; its balance of sugar and acid for a rich meaty flavor; and its dark red heirloom with chocolate shouldered color looks gorgeous on a plate. Plus, he adds, “it starts out as an iridescent green fruit that just glows in the garden.”
Now in its 29th year, Tomatomania 2019 has more classes, more demonstrations, more on site gardening pros, the biggest selection of classic and unusual tomato and pepper plants; Tomatomania Junior activities, and a dynamic APP with access to their expertise 24/7.
Whether you are a beginner or a seasoned pro; have two pots on your terrace or a manicured acre, Tomatomania is a must visit with so much to see, learn, and discover:
- Learn from gardening experts who help visitors select the right plants for their garden and climate type from up to 250 varieties of tomato and pepper seedlings.
- Learn the professionals’ secrets to harvesting bigger and better crops
- Attend informational classes and hands-on demonstrations on the ABCs of Vegetable Gardening; Climate Challenges:
- Searing Heat to Raging Rains; Garden Invaders: Winning the Battle with Insects and Fungus; Small Space Gardening with Big Results; Peppermania: Sweet to Spicy; The Secrets to Soil Science; and much more.
- Purchase all the gardening accessories needed to ensure a successful season
- Swap ideas and stories with fellow gardeners
This article was a courtesy release.