Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, February 11, 2019:
Sunny, with a high near 59. East wind around 5 mph becoming south in the afternoon.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 41. Calm wind becoming east around 5 mph.
Temperatures are expected to remain cool, with rain likely to return in the back half of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1805 Sixteen-year-old Sacajawea, the Shoshoni guide for Lewis & Clark, gives birth to a son, with Meriwether Lewis serving as midwife.
- 1809 Robert Fulton patents the steamboat.
- 1815 News of the Treaty of Ghent, ending the War of 1812, finally reaches the United States.
- 1833 Birth of Melville Weston Fuller, eighth US Supreme Court Chief Justice.
- 1847 Birth of Thomas Alva Edison, prolific American inventor. He jointly or singly held over 1,300 patents.
- 1855 Birth of Josephine Marshall Jewell Dodge, American educator. She was a pioneer in the concept of day nurseries for children.
- 1898 Birth of Leo Szilard, physicist, instrumental in the Manhattan Project.
- 1903 Congress passes the Expedition Act, giving antitrust cases priority in the courts.
- 1904 President Theodore Roosevelt proclaims strict neutrality for the United States in the Russo-Japanese War.
- 1907 Birth of William J. Levitt, US businessman and community builder. He led the postwar housing revolutions with his Levittowns.
- 1910 Theodore Roosevelt Jr. and Eleanor Alexander announce their wedding date — June 20, 1910.
- 1945 The meeting of President Franklin Roosevelt, Prime Minister Winston Churchill and Marshal Joseph Stalin in Yalta, adjourns.
- 1951 UN forces push north across the 38th parallel for the second time in the Korean War.
- 1953 Walt Disney’s film Peter Pan premieres.
- 1954 A 75,000-watt light bulb is lit at the Rockefeller Center in New York, to commemorate the 75th anniversary of Thomas Edison’s first light bulb.
- 1965 President Lyndon Johnson orders air strikes against targets in North Vietnam, in retaliation for guerrilla attacks on the American military in South Vietnam.
- 1966 Vice President Hubert Humphrey begins a tour of Vietnam.