Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, February 15, 2019:
Showers likely, mainly after 10am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 59. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
Showers likely, mainly before 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 44. West wind 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
Temperatures are expected to remain cool, with a chance of showers possible through much of the next week. Otherwise, mostly cloudy to partly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1726 Birth of Abraham Clark, a signer of the Declaration of Independence.
- 1798 The first serious fist fight occurs in Congress.
- 1804 New Jersey becomes the last northern state to abolish slavery.
- 1820 Birth of Susan B. Anthony, suffragette and political activist.
- 1862 Union General Ulysses S. Grant launches a major assault on Fort Donelson, Tennessee.
- 1869 Charges of treason against Jefferson Davis are dropped.
- 1882 Birth of John Barrymore, actor, sibling to actors Lionel Barrymore and Ethel Barrymore, father of actors John Drew Barrymore and Diana Barrymore and grandfather of actor Drew Barrymore.
- 1898 The US battleship Maine blows up in Havana Harbor, killing 268 sailors and bringing hordes of Western cowboys and gunfighters rushing to enlist in the Spanish-American War.
- 1934 The US Congress passes the Civil Works Emergency Relief Act, allotting new funds for Federal Emergency Relief Administration.
- 1943 The Germans break the American Army’s lines at the Fanid-Sened Sector in Tunisia, North Africa.
- 1944 American bombers attack the Abbey of Monte Cassino in an effort to neutralize it as a German observation post in central Italy.
- 1961 Eighteen members of the US figure skating team are lost in an airplane crash in Belgium.
- 1967 Thirteen US helicopters are shot down in one day in Vietnam.
- 1974 US gas stations threaten to close because of federal fuel policies.