Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, February 16, 2019:
Partly sunny, with a high near 60. West wind 5 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.
A slight chance of showers after 10pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 42. West wind 5 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 10%.
Temperatures are expected to remain cool with mostly sunny skies. There will be a chance of showers in the middle of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1760 Cherokee Indians held hostage at Fort St. George in Georgia are killed in revenge for Indian attacks on frontier settlements.
- 1804 US Navy Lieutenant Steven Decatur leads a small group of sailors into Tripoli harbor and burns the USS Philadelphia, captured earlier by Barbary pirates.
- 1838 Birth of Henry Adams, US historian, son and grandson of presidents.
- 1862 Fort Donelson, Tennessee, falls to Grant‘s Federal forces, but not before Nathan Bedford Forrest escapes.
- 1865 Columbia, South Carolina, surrenders to Federal troops.
- 1904 Birth of George Kennan, US diplomat and historian.
- 1923 Bessie Smith makes her first recording “Down Hearted Blues.”
- 1934 Thousands of Socialists battle Communists at a rally in New York’s Madison Square Garden.
- 1937 Dupont patents a new thread, nylon, which will replace silk in a number of products and reduce costs.
- 1945 American paratroopers land on Corregidor, in a campaign to liberate the Philippines.
- 1952 The FBI arrests 10 members of the Ku Klux Klan in North Carolina.
- 1957 A US flag flies over an outpost in Wilkes Land, Antarctica.
- 1965 Four persons are held in a plot to blow up the Statue of Liberty, the Liberty Bell and the Washington Monument.
- 1966 The World Council of Churches being held in Geneva, urges immediate peace in Vietnam.