Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, February 17, 2019:
Showers likely, mainly between 10am and 4pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 57. Light and variable wind becoming west 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
A chance of showers, mainly before 10pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 38. West wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Temperatures are expected to remain cool with mostly sunny skies. There will be a chance of showers in the middle of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1774 Birth of Raphaelle Peale, U.S. painter
- 1801 The House of Representatives breaks an electoral college tie and chooses Thomas Jefferson over Aaron Burr.
- 1864 The Confederate submarine Hunley sinks the USS Housatonic in Charleston Harbor, South Carolina.
- 1865 The South Carolina capital city, Columbia, is destroyed by fire as Major General William Tecumseh Sherman marches through.
- 1874 Birth of Thomas J. Watson Sr., US industrialist.
- 1902 Birth of Marian Anderson, American singer.
- 1908 Birth of Walter Lanier “Red” Barber, baseball announcer for the Cincinnati Reds, the Brooklyn Dodgers and the New York Yankees.
- 1909 Apache chief Geronimo dies of pneumonia at age 80, while still in captivity at Fort Sill, Oklahoma.
- 1925 The first issue of Harold Ross’ magazine, The New Yorker, hits the stands, selling for 15 cents a copy.
- 1935 Thirty-one prisoners escape an Oklahoma prison after murdering a guard.
- 1944 USforces land on Eniwetok atoll in the South Pacific.
- 1945 General MacArthur’s troops land on Corregidor in the Philippines.
- 1951 Packard introduces its “250” Chassis Convertible.
- 1959 The United States launches its first weather station in space, Vanguard II.
- 1960 Martin Luther King Jr. is arrested in the Alabama bus boycott.
- 1973 President Richard Nixon names Patrick Gray director of the FBI.
- 1985 Murray Haydon becomes the third person to receive an artificial heart.