Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, February 20, 2019:
A slight chance of showers after 10am. Partly sunny, with a high near 59. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 42. West wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Temperatures are expected to remain cool to cold with mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1725 New Hampshire militiamen commit the first recorded scalping of Indians by whites in North America.
- 1726 Birth of William Prescott, US Revolutionary War hero at the Battle of Bunker Hill.
- 1792 The US Postal Service is created.
- 1809 The US Supreme Court rules that the power of the federal government is greater than any individual state in the Union.
- 1864 Confederate troops defeat a Union army sent to bring Florida into the Union at the Battle of Olustee, FL.
- 1898 Birth of Jimmy Yancey, American blues pianist.
- 1900 J.F. Pickering patents his airship.
- 1902 Birth of Ansel Adams, American landscape photographer. He was known especially for western wilderness and mountain panoramas.
- 1915 President Woodrow Wilson opens the Panama-Pacific Expo in San Francisco to celebrate the opening of the Panama Canal.
- 1941 The United States sends war planes to the Pacific.
- 1942 Lt. Edward O’Hare downs five out of nine Japanese bombers that are attacking the carrier Lexington.
- 1954 The Ford Foundation gives a $25 million grant to the Fund for Advancement of Education.
- 1959 The FCC applies the equal time rule to TV newscasts of political candidates.
- 1962 Mercury astronaut John Glenn becomes the first American to orbit the Earth.
- 1965 Ranger 8 hits the moon and sends back 7,000 photos to the United States.
- 1982 Carnegie Hall in New York begins $20 million in renovations.