Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, February 21, 2019:
A chance of showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 10am. Mostly sunny, with a high near 57. Northwest wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms before 10pm. Patchy frost after 4am. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 36. Northwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Temperatures are expected to remain cool to cold with mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1595 The Jesuit poet Robert Southwell is hanged for “treason,” being a Catholic.
- 1775 As troubles with Great Britain increase, colonists in Massachusetts vote to buy military equipment for 15,000 men.
- 1828 The first issue of the Cherokee Phoenix is printed, both in English and in the newly invented Cherokee alphabet.
- 1862 The Texas Rangers win a Confederate victory in the Battle of Val Verde, New Mexico.
- 1878 The world’s first telephone book is issued by the New Haven Connecticut Telephone Company containing the names of its 50 subscribers.
- 1885 The Washington Monument is dedicated in Washington, DC.
- 1920 Birth of Robert S. Johnson, American World War II fighter ace who shot down 27 German planes.
- 1951 The US Eighth Army launches Operation Killer, a counterattack to push Chinese forces north of the Han River in Korea.
- 1956 A grand jury in Montgomery, Alabama indicts 115 in a Negro bus boycott.
- 1965 El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz (Malcom X) is assassinated in front of 400 people.
- 1972 Richard Nixon arrives in Beijing, China, becoming the first US president to visit a country not diplomatically recognized by the US
- 1974 A report claims that the use of defoliants by the US has scarred Vietnam for a century.