Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, February 22, 2019:
Sunny, with a high near 60. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 39. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
Temperatures are expected to remain cool to cold with mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1819 Spain signs a treaty with the United States ceding eastern Florida.
- 1862 Jefferson Davis is inaugurated president of the Confederacy in Richmond, Virginia. for the second time.
- 1864 Nathan Bedford Forrest’s brother, Jeffrey, is killed at Okolona, Mississippi.
- 1865 Federal troops capture Wilmington, North Carolina.
- 1879 Frank Winfield Woolworth’s ‘nothing over five cents’ shop opens at Utica, New York. It is the first chain store.
- 1902 A fistfight breaks out in the Senate. Senator Benjamin Tillman suffers a bloody nose for accusing Senator John McLaurin of bias on the Philippine tariff issue.
- 1909 The Great White Fleet returns to Norfolk, Virginia, from an around-the-world show of naval power.
- 1920 The American Relief Administration appeals to the public to pressure Congress to aid starving European cities.
- 1924 Columbia University declares radio education a success.
- 1935 All plane flights over the White House are barred because they are disturbing President Roosevelt’s sleep.
- 1942 President Franklin Roosevelt orders General Douglas MacArthur to leave the Philippines.
- 1951 The Atomic Energy Commission discloses information about the first atom-powered airplane.
- 1954 US is to install 60 Thor nuclear missiles in Britain.
- 1962 A Soviet bid for new Geneva arms talks is turned down by the U.S.
- 1963 Moscow warns the US that an attack on Cuba would mean war.
- 1967 Operation Junction City becomes the largest US operation in Vietnam.
- 1984 Britain and the US send warships to the Persian Gulf following an Iranian offensive against Iraq.