Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, February 23, 2019:
Sunny, with a high near 62. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 43. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
Temperatures are expected to gradually rise over the course of the week, with mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1540 Spanish explorer Francisco Vasquez de Coronado begins his unsuccessful search for the fabled Seven Cities of Gold in the American Southwest.
- 1778 Baron von Steuben joins the Continental Army at Valley Forge.
- 1836 The Alamo is besieged by Santa Anna.
- 1846 The Liberty Bell tolls for the last time, to mark George Washington’s birthday.
- 1847 Forces led by Zachary Taylor defeat the Mexicans at the Battle of Buena Vista.
- 1861 Texas becomes the seventh state to secede from the Union.
- 1868 Birth of W.E.B. [William Edward Burghardt] Du Bois, U.S. historian and civil rights leader, founder of what became the NAACP.
- 1916 Secretary of State Lansing hints that the US may have to abandon the policy of avoiding “entangling foreign alliances”.
- 1921 An airmail plane sets a record of 33 hours and 20 minutes from San Francisco to New York.
- 1926 President Calvin Coolidge opposes a large air force, believing it would be a menace to world peace.
- 1942 A Japanese submarine shells an oil refinery near Santa Barbara, California, the first Axis bombs to hit American soil.
- 1944 American bombers strike the Marianas Islands bases, only 1,300 miles from Tokyo.
- 1945 Eisenhower opens a large offensive in the Rhineland.
- 1945 US Marines plant an American flag atop Mount Suribachi on Iwo Jima.
- 1947 Several hundred Nazi organizers are arrested in Frankfurt by US and British forces.
- 1950 New York’s Metropolitan Museum exhibits a collection of Hapsburg art. The first showing of this collection in the US.
- 1954 Mass innoculation begins as Salk’s polio vaccine is given to children for first time.
- 1960 Whites join Negro students in a sit-in at a Winston-Salem, North Carolina Woolworth store.
- 1967 American troops begin the largest offensive of the war, near the Cambodian border.
- 1972 Black activist Angela Davis is released from jail where she was held for kidnapping , conspiracy and murder.