Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, February 24, 2019:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 66. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 45. Calm wind becoming east around 5 mph.
Temperatures are expected to gradually rise over the course of the week, with mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1803 Chief Justice John Marshall, by refusing to rule on the case of Marbury vs. Madison, asserts the authority of the judicial branch.
- 1813 Off Guiana, the American sloop Hornet sinks the British sloop Peacock.
- 1836 Some 3,000 Mexicans launch an assault on the Alamo with its 182 Texan defenders.
- 1874 Birth of Honus Wagner, baseball shortstop known as “The Flying Dutchman.”
- 1885 Birth of Chester Nimitz, US admiral who commanded naval forces in the Pacific during WWII.
- 1908 Japan officially agrees to restrict emigration to the U.S.
- 1912 The Jewish organization Hadassah is founded in New York City.
- 1914 Civil War soldier Joshua Chamberlain dies.
- 1916 A film version of Jules Verne’s 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea opens in New York.
- 1921 Herbert Hoover becomes Secretary of Commerce.
- 1928 The New Gallery of New York exhibits works of Archibald Motley, its first show to feature a black artist.
- 1944 Merrill’s Marauders, a specially trained group of American soldiers, begin their ground campaign against Japan into Burma.
- 1945 US forces liberate prisoners of war in the Los Baños Prison in the Philippines.
- 1972 Hanoi negotiators walk out of the peace talks in Paris to protest US air raids on North Vietnam.
- 1991 General Norman Schwarzkopf, commander of the coalition army, sends in ground forces during the Gulf War.