Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, February 25, 2019:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 66. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 10pm. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 48. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
Cloudiness will build as chance of rain increases towards the end of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1642 Dutch settlers slaughter lower Hudson Valley Indians in New Netherland, North America, who sought refuge from Mohawk attackers.
- 1779 The British surrender the Illinois country to George Rogers Clark at Vincennes.
- 1781 American General Nathaniel Greene crosses the Dan River on his way to attack Cornwallis.
- 1791 President George Washington signs a bill creating the Bank of the United States.
- 1804 Thomas Jefferson is nominated for president at the Democratic-Republican caucus.
- 1836 Samuel Colt patents the first revolving cylinder multi-shot firearm.
- 1856 Born: Charles Lang Freer, US art collector.
- 1862 Confederate troops abandon Nashville, Tennessee, in the face of Grant’s advance. The ironclad Monitor is commissioned at the Brooklyn Navy Yard.
- 1865 General Joseph E. Johnston replaces John Bell Hood as Commander of the Confederate Army of Tennessee.
- 1888 Born: John Foster Dulles, Secretary of State to President Eisenhower.
- 1905 Born: Adele Davis, nutritionist
- 1913 The 16th Amendment to the constitution is adopted, setting the legal basis for the income tax.
- 1919 Oregon introduces the first state tax on gasoline at one cent per gallon, to be used for road construction.
- 1928 Bell Labs introduces a new device to end the fluttering of the television image.
- 1943 US troops retake the Kasserine Pass in Tunisia, where they had been defeated five days before.
- 1944 US forces destroy 135 Japanese planes in Marianas and Guam
- 1976 The US Supreme Court rules that states may ban the hiring of illegal aliens.