Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, February 27, 2019:
Partly sunny, with a high near 64. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
A chance of rain after 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 54. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Cloudiness will build as chance of rain increases towards the end of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1807 Born: Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, American poet.
- 1827 The first Mardi-Gras celebration is held in New Orleans.
- 1864 The first Union prisoners arrive at Andersonville Prison in Georgia.
- 1865 Confederate raider William Quantrill and his bushwackers attack Hickman, Kentucky, shooting women and children.
- 1886 Born: Hugo Black, US Supreme Court justice.
- 1891 Born: David Sarnoff, RCA board chairman and a pioneer of US television
- 1902 Born: John Steinbeck, American novelist (The Grapes of Wrath, Of Mice and Men).
- 1908 The forty-sixth star is added to the US flag, signifying Oklahoma’s admission to statehood.
- 1917 Born: John Connally, Texas Governor, wounded in the assassination of President John Kennedy.
- 1920 The United States rejects a Soviet peace offer as propaganda.
- 1925 Glacier Bay National Monument is dedicated in Alaska.
- 1969 Thousands of students protest President Richard Nixon’s arrival in Rome.
- 1973 US Supreme Court rules that a Virginia pool club can’t bar residents because of color.
- 1988 Debi Thomas becomes the first African American to win a medal at the Winter Olympics.