Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, February 28, 2019:
A chance of rain before 10am. Partly sunny, with a high near 64. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 54. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Rain is likely over the weekend, followed by partly to mostly sunny skies and highs in the 60s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1610 Thomas West is appointed governor of Virginia.
- 1704 Indians attack Deerfield, Massachusetts killing 40 and kidnapping 100.
- 1847 Colonel Alexander Doniphan and his ragtag Missouri Mounted Volunteers ride to victory at the Battle of Sacramento, during the Mexican War.
- 1861 The territory of Colorado is established.
- 1863 Four Union gunboats destroy the CSS Nashville near Fort McAllister, Georgia.
- 1916 Haiti becomes the first US protectorate.
- 1924 US troops are sent to Honduras to protect American interests during an election conflict.
- 1945 US tanks break the natural defense line west of the Rhine and cross the Erft River.
- 1946 The US Army declares that it will use V-2 rocket to test radar as an atomic rocket defense system.
- 1967 In Mississippi, 19 are indicted in the slayings of three civil rights workers.
- 1969 A Los Angeles court refuses Robert Kennedy assassin Sirhan Sirhan’s request to be executed.
- 1971 The male electorate in Lichtenstein refuses to give voting rights to women.
- 1994 US warplanes shoot down four Serb aircraft over Bosnia in the first NATO use of force in the troubled area.