Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, March 1, 2019:
Partly sunny, with a high near 64. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Rain, mainly after 4am. The rain could be heavy at times. Low around 53. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
Rain is likely over the weekend, followed by partly to mostly sunny skies and highs in the 60s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1642 York, Maine becomes the first incorporated American city.
- 1692 Sarah Goode, Sarah Osborne and Tituba are arrested for the supposed practice of witchcraft in Salem, Mass.
- 1776 French minister Charles Gravier advises his Spanish counterpart to support the American rebels against the English.
- 1780 Pennsylvania becomes the first U.S. state to abolish slavery.
- 1803 Ohio becomes the 17th state to join the Union.
- 1875 Congress passes the Civil Rights Act, which is invalidated by the Supreme Court in 1883.
- 1904 Birth of Glenn Miller, big band leader during the 1930s and ’40s.
- 1912 Albert Berry completes the first in-flight parachute jump, from a Benoist plane over Kinlock Field in St. Louis, Missouri.
- 1914 Birth of Ralph Waldo Ellison, African-American author (Invisible Man).
- 1932 The Lindbergh baby is kidnapped from the Lindbergh home near Princeton, New Jersey.
- 1960 1,000 Black students pray and sing the national anthem on the steps of the old Confederate Capitol in Montgomery, Ala.
- 1968 Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara is replaced by Clark Clifford.
- 1969 Mickey Mantle announces his retirement from baseball.
- 1974 A grand jury indicts seven of President Nixon’s aides for the conspiracy on Watergate.
- 1985 The Pentagon accepts the theory that an atomic war would block the sun, causing a “nuclear winter.”