Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, March 6, 2019:
Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. High near 63. South wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
Showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 55. Southwest wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
A chance of showers and rain is possible through much of the week, with highs in the lower 60s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1820 The Missouri Compromise is enacted by Congress and signed by President James Monroe, providing for the admission of Missouri into the Union as a slave state, but prohibits slavery in the rest of the northern Louisiana Purchase territory.
- 1831 Birth of Philip Henry Sheridan, Union Army general.
- 1836 After fighting for 13 days, the Alamo falls.
- 1857 The Supreme Court’s Dred Scott decision holds that blacks cannot be citizens.
- 1860 While campaigning for the presidency, Abraham Lincoln makes a speech defending the right to strike.
- 1862 The USS Monitor left New York with a crew of 63, seven officers and 56 seamen.
- 1884 Over 100 suffragists, led by Susan B. Anthony, present President Chester A. Arthur with a demand that he voice support for female suffrage.
- 1888 Louisa May Alcott dies just hours after the burial of her father.
- 1899 Aspirin is patented following Felix Hoffman’s discoveries about the properties of acetylsalicylic acid.
- 1908 Birth of Lou Costello, American comedian, partner of Bud Abbott.
- 1965 The United States announces that it will send 3,500 troops to Vietnam.
- 1967 President Lyndon B. Johnson announces his plan to establish a draft lottery.
- 1973 President Richard Nixon imposes price controls on oil and gas.
- 1980 Islamic militants in Tehran say that they will turn over the American hostages to the Revolutionary Council.
- 1981 President Reagan announces plans to cut 37,000 federal jobs.