Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, March 7, 2019:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 62. Light west wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 48. West wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
A chance of showers and rain is possible through much of the week, with highs in the lower 60s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1707 Birth of Stephen Hopkins, signer of the Declaration of Independence.
- 1774 The British close the port of Boston to all commerce.
- 1847 U.S. General Winfield Scott occupies Vera Cruz, Mexico.
- 1862 Confederate forces surprise the Union army at the Battle of Pea Ridge, in Arkansas, but the Union is victorious.
- 1876 Alexander Graham Bell is granted a patent for the telephone.
- 1927 A Texas law that bans Negroes from voting is ruled unconstitutional by the Supreme Court.
- 1933 The film King Kong premieres in New York City.
- 1933 The board game Monopoly is invented.
- 1935 Malcolm Campbell sets an auto speed record of 276.8 mph in Florida.
- 1951 U.N. forces in Korea under General Matthew Ridgeway launch Operation Ripper, an offensive to straighten out the U.N. front lines against the Chinese.
- 1968 The Battle of Saigon, begun on the day of the Tet Offensive, ends.
- 1971 A thousand U.S. planes bomb Cambodia and Laos.
- 1979 Voyager 1 reaches Jupiter.