Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, March 8, 2019:
A slight chance of showers before 10am. Partly sunny, with a high near 60. West wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 45. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable after midnight.
A chance of showers is possible over the weekend, followed by mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1783 Birth of Hannah Hoes Van Buren, wife of Martin Van Buren
- 1790 George Washington delivers the first State of the Union address.
- 1841 Birth of Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr., U.S. Supreme Court Justice
- 1853 The first bronze statue of Andrew Jackson is unveiled in Washington, D.C.
- 1862 On the second day of the Battle of Pea Ridge, Confederate forces, including some Indian troops, under General Earl Van Dorn surprise Union troops, but the Union troops win the battle.
- 1862 The Confederate ironclad C.S.S. Virginia (formerly U.S.S. Merrimack) is launched.
- 1880 President Rutherford B. Hayes declares that the United States will have jurisdiction over any canal built across the Isthmus of Panama.
- 1943 Japanese forces attack American troops on Hill 700 in Bougainville. The battle will last five days.
- 1945 Phyllis Mae Daley receives a commission in the U.S. Navy Nurse Corps. She will become the first African-American nurse to serve duty in World War II.
- 1948 The U.S. Supreme Court rules that religious instruction in public schools is unconstitutional.
- 1965 More than 4,000 Marines land at Da Nang in South Vietnam and become the first U.S. combat troops in Vietnam.
- 1970 The Nixon administration discloses the deaths of 27 Americans in Laos.
- 1982 The United States accuses the Soviets of killing 3,000 Afghans with poison gas.