Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, March 9, 2019:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 61. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 46. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light after midnight.
A chance of showers is possible over the weekend, followed by mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1788 Connecticut becomes the 5th state.
- 1820 Congress passes the Land Act, paving the way for westward expansion.
- 1841 The rebel slaves who seized a Spanish slave ship, the Amistad, in 1839 are freed by the Supreme Court despite Spanish demands for extradition.
- 1862 The first and last battle between the ironclads U.S.S. Monitor and C.S.S. Virginia ends in a draw.
- 1864 General Ulysses Grant is appointed commander-in-chief of the Union forces.
- 1916 Mexican bandit Pancho Villa leads 1,500 horsemen on a raid of Columbus, N.M. killing 17 U.S. soldiers and citizens.
- 1959 The Barbie doll is unveiled at a toy fair in New York City.
- 1964 The first Ford Mustang rolls off the Ford assembly line.
- 1967 Svetlana Alliluyeva, Josef Stalin’s daughter defects to the United States.
- 1968 General William Westmoreland asks for 206,000 more troops in Vietnam.
- 1986 Navy divers find the crew compartment of the space shuttle Challenger along with the remains of the astronauts.