Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, March 10, 2019:
A chance of showers. Cloudy, with a high near 60. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
A chance of showers. Cloudy, with a low around 47. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
After today’s and tonight’s possible showers, the week should be sunny.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1656 In the colony of Virginia, suffrage is extended to all free men regardless of their religion.
- 1776 Common Sense by Thomas Paine is published.
- 1785 Thomas Jefferson is appointed minister to France.
- 1845 Born: Hallie Quinn Brown, American educator, women’s rights leader.
- 1848 The treaty of Guadalupe-Hidalgo is signed which ends the United States’ war with Mexico.
- 1893 New Mexico State University cancels its first graduation ceremony, because the only graduate was robbed and killed the night before.
- 1903 Born: Leon Bismarck “Bix” Beiderbecke, jazz cornetist and composer.
- 1909 Born: Kathryn McLean (Forbes), author (Mama’s Bank Account).
- 1924 The US Supreme Court upholds a New York state law forbidding late-night work for women.
- 1933 Nevada becomes the first US state to regulate drugs.
- 1940 David Rabe, playwright (Sticks and Bones, Hurlyburly).
- 1943 Adolf Hitler calls Field Marshall Erwin Rommel back from Tunisia in North Africa.
- 1945 American B-29 bombers attack Tokyo, killing 100,000.
- 1947 The Big Four meet in Moscow to discuss the future of Germany.
- 1948 Author Zelda Fitzgerald (wife of F. Scott) dies in a fire at Highland Hospital.
- 1953 North Korean gunners at Wonsan fire on the USS Missouri. The ship responds by firing 998 rounds at the enemy position.
- 1954 President Dwight Eisenhower calls Senator Joseph McCarthy a peril to the Republican Party.
- 1966 The North Vietnamese capture a Green Beret camp at Ashau Valley.
- 1969 James Earl Ray pleads guilty to the murder of Dr. Martin Luther King and is sentenced to 99 years in jail.
- 1971 The Senate approves a Constitutional amendment to lower the voting age to 18.
- 1975 The North Vietnamese Army attacks the South Vietnamese town of Buon Ma Thout, the offensive will end with total victory in Vietnam.
- 1980 Iran’s leader, Ayatollah Khomeini, lends his support to the militants holding the American hostages in Tehran.
- 1982 The United States bans Libyan oil imports, because of the continued support of terrorism.