Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, March 11, 2019:
A slight chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 67. Calm wind becoming northwest around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 50. Light and variable wind becoming southeast 5 to 10 mph.
After today’s and tonight’s possible showers, the week should be sunny.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1731 Robert Treat Paine, Declaration of Independence signer
- 1811 Ned Ludd leads a group of workers in a wild protest against mechanization.
- 1824 The U.S. War Department creates the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Seneca Indian Ely Parker becomes the first Indian to lead the Bureau.
- 1860 Birth of Thomas Hastings, architect of the New York Public Library.
- 1861 A Confederate Convention is held in Montgomery, Ala., where the new constitution is adopted.
- 1863 Union troops under General Ulysess S. Grant give up their preparations to take Vicksburg after failing to pass Fort Pemberton, north of Vicksburg.
- 1865 Union General William Sherman and his forces occupy Fayetteville, N.C.
- 1888 A disastrous blizzard hits the northeastern United States. Some 400 people die, mainly from exposure.
- 1907 President Teddy Roosevelt induces California to revoke its anti-Japanese legislation.
- 1930 President Howard Taft becomes the first U.S. president to be buried in the National Cemetery in Arlington, Va.
- 1941 President Franklin D. Roosevelt authorizes the Lend-Lease Act which authorizes the act of giving war supplies to the Allies.
- 1942 General Douglas MacArthur leaves Bataan for Australia.
- 1965 The American navy begins inspecting Vietnamese junks in hopes of ending arms smuggling to the South.
- 1966 Three men are convicted of the murder of Malcolm X.
- 1969 Levi-Strauss starts to sell bell-bottomed jeans.
- 1973 An FBI agent is shot at Wounded Knee in South Dakota.