Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, March 13, 2019:
Sunny, with a high near 67. Northwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming south in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 46. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming east after midnight.
Temperatures are expected to rise well above average, reaching the upper 70s by the end of the week, coupled with sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1660 A statute is passed limiting the sale of slaves in the colony of Virginia.
- 1777 Congress orders its European envoys to appeal to high-ranking foreign officers to send troops to reinforce the American army.
- 1793 Eli Whitney patents the cotton gin.
- 1861 Jefferson Davis signs a bill authorizing slaves to be used as soldiers for the Confederacy.
- 1868 The U.S. Senate begins the impeachment trial of President Andrew Johnson.
- 1918 Women are scheduled to march in the St. Patrick’s Day Parade in New York due to a shortage of men.
- 1942 Julia Flikke of the Nurse Corps becomes the first woman colonel in the U.S. Army.
- 1943 Japanese forces end their attack on the American troops on Hill 700 in Bougainville.
- 1957 The FBI arrests Jimmy Hoffa on bribery charges.
- 1974 The U.S. Senate votes 54-33 to restore the death penalty.
- 1974 Arab nations decide to end the oil embargo on the United States.
- 1981 The United States plans to send 15 Green Berets to El Salvador as military advisors.
- 1991 Exxon pays $1 billion in fines and costs for the clean-up of the Alaskan oil spill.