Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, March 16, 2019:
Sunny, with a high near 78. Calm wind becoming northwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 54. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable.
Temperatures are expected to remain above average through the weekend before dropping back to normal, with a chance of rain in the forecast around midweek.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1621 The first Indian appears to colonists in Plymouth, Massachusetts.
- 1833 Susan Hayhurst becomes the first woman to graduate from a pharmacy college.
- 1850 Nathaniel Hawthorne’s The Scarlet Letter is published.
- 1865 Union troops push past Confederate blockers at the Battle of Averasborough, N.C.
- 1913 The 15,000-ton battleship Pennsylvania is launched at Newport News, Va.
- 1928 The United States plans to send 1,000 more Marines to Nicaragua.
- 1945 Iwo Jima is declared secure by U.S. forces although small pockets of Japanese resistance still exist.
- 1954 CBS introduces The Morning Show hosted by Walter Cronkite to compete with NBC’s Today Show.
- 1964 President Lyndon B. Johnson submits a $1 billion war on poverty program to Congress.
- 1968 U.S. troops in Vietnam destroy a village consisting mostly of women and children, the action is remembered as the My-Lai massacre.