Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, March 17, 2019:
Sunny, with a high near 85. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 55. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight.
Temperatures are expected to remain above average through the weekend before dropping back to normal, with a chance of rain in the forecast around midweek.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1766 Britain repeals the Stamp Act.
- 1776 British forces evacuate from Boston to Nova Scotia.
- 1828 Birth of Patrick R. Cleburne, Confederate general.
- 1832 Birth of Daniel Conway Moncure, U.S. clergyman, author, abolitionist
- 1868 The first postage stamp canceling machine patent is issued.
- 1884 John Joseph Montgomery makes the first glider flight in Otay, Calif.
- 1886 Twenty African Americans are killed in the Carrollton Massacre in Mississippi.
- 1905 Anna Eleanor Roosevelt, niece of President Theodore Roosevelt, marries Franklin D. Roosevelt in New York.
- 1910 The Camp Fire Girls are founded in Lake Sebago, Maine.
- 1924 Four Douglas army aircraft leave Los Angeles for an around the world flight.
- 1930 Mob boss Al Capone is released from jail.
- 1944 The U.S. Eighth Air Force bombs Vienna.
- 1961 The United States increases military aid and technicians to Laos.
- 1962 The Soviet Union asks the United States to pull out of South Vietnam.
- 1966 A U.S. submarine locates a missing H-bomb in the Mediterranean.
- 1970 The Army charges 14 officers with suppression of facts in the My Lai massacre case.
- 1972 Nixon asks Congress to halt busing in order to achieve desegregation.
- 1973 First POWs are released from the “Hanoi Hilton” in Hanoi, North Vietnam.
- 1985 President Ronald Reagan agrees to a joint study with Canada on acid rain.