Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, March 18, 2019:
Sunny, with a high near 76. Light southwest wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 53. South wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light in the evening.
High temperatures are forecast to drop into the 60s, with a weather system moving through the region around midweek.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1692 William Penn is deprived of his governing powers.
- 1863 Confederate women riot in Salisbury, N.C. to protest the lack of flour and salt in the South.
- 1865 The Congress of the Confederate States of America adjourns for the last time.
- 1874 Hawaii signs a treaty giving exclusive trading rights with the islands to the United States.
- 1881 Barnum and Bailey’s Greatest Show on Earth opens in Madison Square Gardens.
- 1911 Theodore Roosevelt opens the Roosevelt Dam in Phoenix, Ariz., the largest dam in the United States to date.
- 1917 The Germans sink the U.S. ships, City of Memphis, Vigilante and the Illinois, without any type of warning.
- 1939 Georgia finally ratifies the Bill of Rights, 150 years after the birth of the federal government. Connecticut and Massachusetts, the only other states to hold out, also ratify the Bill of Rights in this year.
- 1942 The third military draft begins in the United States.
- 1943 American forces take Gafsa in Tunisia.
- 1953 The Braves baseball team announces that they are moving from Boston to Milwaukee.
- 1969 President Richard M. Nixon authorizes Operation Menue, the ‘secret’ bombing of Cambodia.
- 1970 The U.S. Postal Service is paralyzed by the first postal strike.
- 1971 U.S. helicopters airlift 1,000 South Vietnamese soldiers out of Laos.
- 1981 The United States discloses biological weapons tests in Texas in 1966.