Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, March 21, 2019:
A chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 63. West wind 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 50. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable in the evening. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
High temperatures are forecast to rise into the low 70s early in the week, followed by a chance of showers around midweek.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1617 Pocahontas (Rebecca Rolfe) dies of either smallpox or pneumonia while in England with her husband, John Rolfe.
- 1788 Almost the entire city of New Orleans, Louisiana, is destroyed by fire.
- 1806 Lewis and Clark begin their trip home after an 8,000 mile trek of the Mississippi basin and the Pacific Coast.
- 1865 The Battle of Bentonville, N.C. ends, marking the last Confederate attempt to stop Union General William Sherman.
- 1885 Birth of Raoul Lufbery, French-born American fighter pilot of World War I.
- 1906 Ohio passes a law that prohibits hazing by fraternities.
- 1910 The U.S. Senate grants ex-President Teddy Roosevelt an annual pension of $10,000.
- 1928 President Calvin Coolidge presents the Congressional Medal of Honor to Charles Lindbergh, a captain in the US Army Air Corps Reserve, for making the first solo trans-Atlantic flight. On June 11, 1927, Lindbergh had received the first Distinguished Flying Cross ever awarded.
- 1939 Singer Kate Smith records “God Bless America” for Victor Records.
- 1951 Secretary of Defense George C. Marshall reports that the U.S. military has doubled to 2.9 million since the start of the Korean War.
- 1963 Alcatraz Island, the federal penitentiary in San Francisco Bay, California, closes.
- 1965 The United States launches Ranger 9, last in a series of unmanned lunar explorations.
- 1971 Two U.S. platoons in Vietnam refuse their orders to advance.
- 1980 President Jimmy Carter announces to the U.S. Olympic Team that they will not participate in the 1980 Summer Games in Moscow as a boycott against Soviet intervention in Afghanistan.
- 1984 A Soviet submarine crashes into the USS Kitty Hawk off the coast of Japan.