Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, March 22, 2019:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 66. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the morning.
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 53. West wind 5 to 10 mph.
High temperatures are forecast to rise into the low 70s early in the week, followed by a chance of showers around midweek.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1622 Indians attack a group of colonists in the James River area of Virginia, killing 350 residents.
- 1630 The first legislation prohibiting gambling is enacted in Boston.
- 1664 Charles II gives large tracts of land from west of the Connecticut River to the east of Delaware Bay in North America to his brother James, the Duke of York.
- 1765 The Stamp Act is passed, the first direct British tax on the American colonists.
- 1775 British statesman Edmund Burke makes a speech in the House of Commons, urging the government to adopt a policy of reconciliation with America.
- 1790 Thomas Jefferson becomes the first U.S. Secretary of State.
- 1794 Congress passes laws prohibiting slave trade with foreign countries although slavery remains legal in the United States.
- 1834 Horace Greeley publishes New Yorker, a weekly literary and news magazine and forerunner of Harold Ross’ more successful The New Yorker.
- 1907 Birth of James Gavin, U.S. Army general of the 82nd Airborne Division in WWII.
- 1908 Birth of Louis L’Amour, American Western novelist.
- 1930 Birth of Stephen Sondheim, American composer and lyricist (A Little Night Music, Passion).
- 1933 President Franklin D. Roosevelt signs a bill legalizing the sale and possession of beer and wine.
- 1946 First U.S. built rocket to leave the Earth’s atmosphere reaches a 50-mile height.
- 1948 The United States announces a land reform plan for Korea.
- 1968 President Lyndon Johnson names General William Westmoreland as Army Chief of Staff.
- 1972 The U.S. Senate passes the Equal Rights Amendment. The amendment fails to achieve ratification.
- 1974 The Viet Cong propose a new truce with the United States and South Vietnam, which includes general elections.
- 1990 A jury in Anchorage, Alaska, finds Captain Hazelwood not guilty in the Valdez oil spill.