Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, March 23, 2019:
Partly sunny, with a high near 65. Light south wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 51. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southeast after midnight.
High temperatures are forecast to rise into the low 70s early in the week, followed by a chance of showers around midweek.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1775 American revolutionary hero Patrick Henry, while addressing the House of Burgesses, declares “give me liberty, or give me death!”
- 1857 Elisha Otis installs the first modern passenger elevator in a public building, at the corner of Broome Street and Broadway in New York City.
- 1858 Eleazer A. Gardner of Philadelphia patents the cable street car, which runs on overhead cables.
- 1862 Confederate General Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson faces his only defeat at the Battle of Kernstown, Va
- 1880 John Stevens of Neenah, Wis., patents the grain crushing mill. This mill allows flour production to increase by 70 percent.
- 1901 A group of U.S. Army soldiers, led by Brigadier General Frederick Funston, capture Emilio Aguinaldo, the leader of the Philippine Insurrection of 1899.
- 1903 The Wright brothers obtain an airplane patent.
- 1909 Theodore Roosevelt begins an African safari sponsored by the Smithsonian Institution and National Geographic Society.
- 1912 Birth of Werner von Braun, German-born rocket pioneer.
- 1920 Great Britain denounces the United States because of its delay in joining the League of Nations.
- 1951 U.S. paratroopers descend from flying boxcars in a surprise attack in Korea.
- 1967 Reverend Martin Luther King Jr. calls the Vietnam War the biggest obstacle to the civil rights movement.
- 1970 Mafia boss Carlo Gambino is arrested for plotting to steal $3 million.
- 1972 The United States calls a halt to the peace talks on Vietnam being held in Paris.
- 1981 U.S. Supreme Court upholds a law making statutory rape a crime for men but not women.