Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, March 25, 2019:
Sunny, with a high near 74. Light west wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 51. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light southwest in the evening.
High temperatures are forecast to remain in the 70s through most of the week, with a chance of showers around midweek.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1634 Lord Baltimore founds the Catholic colony of Maryland.
- 1655 Puritans jail Governor Stone after a military victory over Catholic forces in the colony of Maryland.
- 1668 The first horse race in America takes place.
- 1776 The Continental Congress authorizes a medal for General George Washington.
- 1813 The frigate USS Essex flies the first U.S. flag in battle in the Pacific.
- 1865 Confederate forces capture Fort Stedman, during the siege of Petersburg, Va.
- 1911 A fire at the Triangle Shirtwaist Company, a sweatshop in New York City, claims the lives of 146 workers.
- 1915 The first submarine disaster occurs when a U.S. F-4 sinks off the Hawaiian coast.
- 1940 The United States agrees to give Britain and France access to all American warplanes.
- 1953 The USS Missouri fires on targets at Kojo, North Korea, the last time her guns fire until the Persian Gulf War of 1992.
- 1965 Martin Luther King Jr. leads a group of 25,000 to the state capital in Montgomery, Ala.
- 1975 Hue is lost and Da Nang is endangered by North Vietnamese forces. The United States orders a refugee airlift to remove those in danger.
- 1981 The U.S. Embassy in San Salvador is damaged when gunmen attack, firing rocket propelled grenades and machine guns.
- 1986 President Ronald Reagan orders emergency aid for the Honduran army. U.S. helicopters take Honduran troops to the Nicaraguan border.